Rhinoplasty is one of the most common facial plastic surgery procedures. The nose is situated in the central portion of the face making any deformity noticeable. Nasofacial disproportions are very common besides the fact the nasal injuries are the most common facial injuries.

The nose is also a breathing organ. Any nasal surgery should maintain and improve this important function.
Before any rhinoplasty is performed, we analyze the variables that are causing the deformity including: type of skin, projection of the tip and dorsum, type of skin, external external deviation, harmony between the different nasal aesthetic units, effects of the valves on breathing, angles of definition and projection,breathing dysfunction, septal deviation, turbinate hypertrophy… Each nose is analyzed in context of the face.
Computer morphing and analysis has been a good tool in making the patient understand some aspects of this surgery as well as assist in the surgical planning.
Understanding The Surgery
Each nose is analyzed in context of the face. A plan is designed before the surgery as to the aesthetic and functional needs.
Dr Fuleihan performs the majority of his rhinoplasties without an external incision, avoinding any external scar. In 1998, Dr Fuleihan described a method and approach for rhinoplasty. Incison is made inside the nostril and the cartilaginous framework is visualized The cartilage is reshaped, the excess bone and cartilage are reshaped and when needed the bones are repositioned. Breathing problems are corrected at the same time. For a detailed description of this surgery, please see scientific articles and videos in this web site.
Dr Fuleihan does not put any internal nasal packs following nasal surgery.
What To Expect After The Surgery

St the end of rhinoplasty an external splint is put to stabilize the framework of the nose. It is removed one week following the surgery. Occasionally a small plastic splint is put inside the nose and also removed in one week without any significant discomfort. Mild to moderate swelling is present around the nose. Most patients don’t develop any significant bruising. For another week, steri strips are positioned on the nose for another week. After two weeks the swelling would have decreased by 80%. The remaining 20% will subside by six to eight months.
It is essential to avoid sleeping on the nose or any trauma. Nose blowing should be stopped for two weeks.
Exercise and heavy straining should be avoided for three weeks following the surgery. In certain cases messages to some areas of the nose are advised in order to decrease swelling.
Instructions are given as to the frequency of follow up. Dr Fuleihan likes to follow his rhinoplasty patients as long as can be possible. Close follow up is important.
For further information, please refer to publications and scientific articles on rhinoplasty by Dr Fuleihan available on this site.